View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd November 2009
Port Guard

Quote:
My decision to use Linux for the next version was because there are too much bugs in the core FreeBSD system. Simply have a look into the bug tracker. FreeNAS does not run on many systems, mainly new hardware makes trouble. The main reason is the driver problem with FreeBSD which seems to be no problem with Linux because there are great companies in the back that support it. Also the Linux developer community is much greater than the FBSD one.
I have to disagree with all of that. I have used linux a lot in the past (Debian, Centos mainly). When I discovered FreeBSD 5 years ago I was so impressed with the simplicity the stability the flexibility and the security.
I also don't understand the issue with the device drives when we are talking about a simple NAS system. I will not go into the discussion of which community is better. This is completely childish.
I have also see in action software raid in linux and I can't compare it with FreeBSD gmirror!!! Let alone ZFS which is really the future in file systems.

George