View Single Post
Old 28th August 2008
Spam Deminer

I think it's finally coming. iXsystems, the company that sponsors PC-BSD reached an agreement with Adobe to distribute Flash with PC-BSD systems. At that time, most people assumed that the announcement referred to Linux Flash running via the compatibility layer using nspluginwrapper. The keyword there is assumed. Now, I suppose it's apt to think that the announcement referred to native Flash for FreeBSD and derivatives. BTW, this announcement was made last summer.

WINE can be a decent solution sometimes, but in this case, it's just putting a band-aid on a wound. Lack of Flash is one thing that limits BSD adoption amongst I suppose all types of users. In this case, WINE is really not an option. Neither is doing it via the Linux compatibility mode because that adds unnecessary bloat to your system. This one needs a native solution.