View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th May 2009
Port Guard

Thanks a lot for the help. Sorry if the questions seemed a bit dumb or repeated :P

So, is the build process for Java SE reasonably simple? It seems pretty hit and miss to me when I have used it before... I have built somethings using make, and it's worked, but other times it's failed, and it's took ages to fix. Probably inexperience on my behalf. As I said below, my building experience in OpenBSD is limited, because unlike the Linuxes (What I used before), the package system actually works.. and it works well, so building hasn't been needed.

So this is what is says in one of the links you gave me....
Code:
Sun JDK - only 1.7 as a package; for older version see build instructions below.
That seems to imply that I only need to build if I want a earlier version.

Bear in mind I have no idea how to use the ports system... I only worked the basics of the packaging system. So I'm reading info/man pages about it at the moment, as well as reading the provided links.

What is the URL for the ports? Packages have a URL you can go to, but I can't find one for ports. It mentions something called CVS. Is there a FTP-download-off-page system like there is with the packages, or does it use a completely different system?

This is the page I go to for my package downloads... I then take the URL for the package I want and give it to pkg_add which deals with it for me.
Code:
http://www.openbsd.org/4.4_packages/i386.html
Is there a equivalent for downloading the ports in TAR files that have to be built?

Thanks a lot for the help...