View Single Post
Old 13th February 2010
Banned

Smile Maybe I can help. I have the same problem.

The wi-fi device is not supported. Realtek makes two versions of that device. See I got this usb wireless device from the flea market, an RTL 8187B chipset. The one OpenBSD supports is RTL 8187L. I assume because I could never get mine to work and I've tried all the same things Alex did.

I have the linux driver for the device. I also have the mac driver for the device, but I don't know enough C programming yet to really fiddle with the device driver and get RTL 8187B to work. Perhaps, I'm looking in the wrong place and I should look at the OpenBSD driver for RTL 8187L source code and see if I can find a way to get the B version to work.

Also, make sure you configure the hostname.if properly or DHCLIENT won't work. I've plugged the USB wi-fi device into my Mac and it does work and a light comes on to indicate that it's working. On my OpenBSD box, no light ever comes on.

Alex, you might try ifconfig scan, to get the channels before doing a dhclient. Perhaps your device will work better than mine.

I'm going to look into this some more, but I'm planning on getting a compatible wi-fi usb device whenever I can and chuck this one down the pipes.

Hope I've been of some help.