View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2008
Arp Constable

Several months ago, PC-BSD 1.5.x users had occasional issues with booting the disks off SATA CD/DVD-ROM, and that is based on one of the FreeBSD 6.3-Stable builds. People on forums.pcbsd.org generally dove into, "its a FreeBSD problem" and let it be; although posts there have subsided for a long time about such issues.

I believe that if there is any issue with using SATA optical disk drives in modern FreeBSD, it probably is specific to certain odd models or hardware configurations --> that is my humble opinion.

All of mine are EIDE, so i can't comment on CD/DVD drives. I do know that SATA hard drives work *perfect* on FreeBSD 6.0 Release through the last 7-Stable. The only issue I've experienced is the ATA_STATIC_ID option in kernels causes my first (and only) SATA drive to be detected as ad4 and without the option it detects the drive as ad0.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.

Last edited by TerryP; 24th August 2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: darn typo...