View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlm2 View Post
In addition there is a USB port in the board that I want to connect to

NETSTICK mobile communications.

I mean I also need to set some kind of protocol regulating communication when I'm connecting Through a dsl and i lose comunecation I will pass to the mobile communications.
wlm2 & Sigi, throughout this (never-ending...) discussion, there has been no mention of either one of you verifying that you have been able to successfully connect this USB device to the Internet. Much of the discussion thus far has been on DHCP, NAT, & failover issues.

While I agree that these issues will eventually need to be addressed, if the goal of your project is to construct a device capable of failing over from one ISP to another, none of the 5 months you have spent on this project will amount to anything unless you know & can demonstrate that you can connect wirelessly. J65nko attempted to help you prioritize what needs to be done in the following:

http://www.daemonforums.org/showpost...0&postcount=38

It does not appear that you have made any progress on confirming whether you can connect through this USB device. While it is your choice to work through the issues involved in the project in whatever manner you wish, it would seem to me that you should take care of the most critical items first. Otherwise, if you are unable to connect through a secondary conduit, the goal of your project has not been met & you have simply wasted your time.

I recommend that you spend time studying PPP connections as described in Section 6.5 of the FAQ very soon. Studying the relevant manpages will help too. It will also be beneficial to search for PPP discussions on the official misc@ mailing list. Archive sites can be found at the following:

http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html

Studying these sources will far be more useful than trying to find shortcuts by searching for howto documents. Most information found on the Internet is either old, incomplete, or simply wrong. Staying with information & discussions on the OpenBSD project or its mailing lists is much more likely of being correct & current.