View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th August 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Welcome back!

I think you may have two separate issues.When I saw this, I thought, "uh oh". That's because MBR partition tables are limited to 2TB, and disks larger appear in the MBR as 2TB. As mentioned in FAQ 14.8, this is not a problem for OpenBSD, as the OpenBSD disklabel doesn't have this restriction. However, you are using a disk that contains only a foreign filesystem, and then a "virtual" disklabel based on the MBR, which is of course limited to 2TB.

Setting the right partition size: I recommend creating a physical disklabel on the drive, so that OpenBSD can address the actual size of the NTFS partition. e.g.: create a small OpenBSD MBR partition of type A6 on the drive, to house the disklabel. This can be a very small partition, such as 1MB in size. Then use disklabel(8) to correctly map the "real" NTFS partition by starting sector and size into the physical disklabel.
Hay thank you so much!

OK I tested using an old half terabyte drive i had lying around, 4K sectors formatted by Windows do seem to work. I do not think I was confused enough last time to format some sort of dynamic disk.

Then I will bark up the next tree. First thing I am rather naively wondering is, if I can fit this OpenBSD MBR partition you are suggesting into the 63 sectors before the NTFS partition starts. Well.... perhaps it would be wise to screw around with this on my "old drive I had lying around" first ..

Actually, come to think of it, first I will just carefully read the manual entry for OpenBSD's fdisk.

( and yes, /mnt/ntfs does exist and I was just able to mount the above mentioned test NTFS volume on it OK )