View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2009
Arp Constable

There are basically two usage scenario groups, 0.) you have your own CVS repo and are the only dork to commit to it; and 1.) there is a central CVS repo that people commit to IAW pre-agreed upon policy, and dorks who break the unbreakable stuffs get mooned!

You can probably find some examples online, most would probably compare distributed and non-distributed workflows (e.g. git versus cvs). Several projects may have there commit policies published on the net (FreeBSD does), and others that have since changed systems (perl, mozilla, etc) may be accessible on their sites or via the way back machine.

When dealing with a largely centralized solution, like CVS or Subversion: you generally organize things so that work gets done and people don't rip each others throats out. Some examples:

There can be one or several merge meister of ceremonies, who is/are responsible for getting everyones latest work imported into the main line without conflicts between commits; who if smart, would also delegate fixes to other developers to sort out on there own .

And of course, you can have a core who can do whatever the want, and establish policy to minimize foul ups. Some projects for example declare that the bleeding edge (e.g. trunk) will always be a cutting board with no obligation that it even compiles, or that it will always be the most stable code in the tree. The concept of trunk, branches, and tags, are fairly common among developers whether or not the software enforces it.

Think about team work and multithreading, and you'll likely get some ideas of how it works. OpenBSDs website & mailing lists may also provide information, if you wish to help the project with development; just don't expect commit access in the short term.

Personally, I use git for my code.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.