View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2008
New User

Thanks,

After I posted I realized that the makefile referenced a linux source tree which sort of set me straight a little. I had come across the os9 drivers you mentioned below and had the same reaction... oh well on that one.
More generally, though, does MacOS X handle drivers in a similar way to how NetBSD etc etc do? That was my understanding, but I'm not clear on the point. If it does, I think it should be reasonably simple to add the VID/PID into the driver source code (kue, not kaweth) and compile (kernels aren't modular, right, so I need to rebuild kernel?). Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Right... that project isn't a "portable" driver, it's a driver for Linux, a sourceforge project claiming "POSIX compliance" doesn't really mean much for drivers.

Now, FreeBSD and OpenBSD have a kue(4) driver, each man page has a list of products implementing that chipset... Wouldn't it be easier to see if any of them wrote a driver for OS X(And then, hex editing the Product/Vendor ID?)

EDIT: Major score! - http://www.k-micro.us/USB/drivers.htm - Looks like drivers!

USB_Etherb2.sit and Jaton_101_Enet.sit appear to be drivers for the Kawasaki LSI KL5KLUSB101B chipset.

EDIT2: Sorry, the above drivers are for OS <= 9, not OSX.