View Single Post
Old 5th August 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
To be precise, I also like Arch and its philosophy, I am not against Arch. Currently I do not have time for that, but I will sure try Arch in some future (after I finish my master's thesis).
I am not against Arch as well; I like the ideology behind Arch. However, the developers have a lot of work to do before they can claim that it's up to BSD standards, assuming that's what they are trying to accomplish along with maintaining a bleeding edge distribution. I've never understood why Linux distributions have always had problems combining stability, security, and performance with bleeding edge technology. All of the BSDs are bleeding edge (you could make a case for OpenBSD otherwise). However, at least FreeBSD and NetBSD are bleeding edge operating systems, but stable nonetheless. I've gotten better stability and quality with OpenSolaris, which is still very much a work-in-progress.

Quote:
Yeah, once I got used to BSD standards I feel very handicapped when I use Linux.
I hear you. I like Debian because of the quality, but I'd pick a BSD over it any day. My proven combination is Mac OS X and FreeBSD.

Quote:
Tell that to Linux developers, and they will tell us that BSD is dying ...

... for Linux documentation check options.c
They can say that, but they will embarrass themselves as usual. I recognize that the BSDs, ever since the dominance of Linux, have occupied a niche market. That niche can only get larger as more Linux power users become constrained by the lack of proper development direction and the output of quality code. They do dominate web servers; they do fulfill server roles quite aptly. I like to point out to the naysayers that Apple chose BSD as a foundation for Mac OS X. If you count Mac OS X as a BSD operating system, which I do, then the BSD marketshare beats out Linux's by four-fold in the desktop market. That doesn't mean much, but Apple's adoption and return contribution (without any necessity to do so due to the BSD license) to at least FreeBSD is a blow for Linux. BSD isn't dying, but Linux is on the path to destruction.

Quote:
I also tried Mac OS X (10.5.2) and I liked it, the only bad thing was that my Intel X3000 card is not supported but X3100 is :/ but all other things woked very well. I must also try Mac OS X with MacPorts.
Did you install it on a non-Mac? If so, how did you manage that?

I like Mac OS X as much as I like FreeBSD, which is a high complement; I used to bash it quite a bit in my Linux days, but I was oblivious. Once I started using it, I discovered that it behaves much like any other Unix I've used. You can do everything straight from the command line if you wish or just use the GUI. I didn't need to customize the look because the GUI is lean and has enough eye-candy. It's fancy eye-candy, but usable eye-candy, unlike Compiz, Compiz-Fusion, or Kwin4.

MacPorts is a nice package manager, but it does contain a limited amount of ports. The common applications are there, and those install and run very nicely, but if you need something that's not in the tree, then you will have to go through several hoops to have it run on Mac OS X. MacPorts integrates very well with OS X as well. The applications that are available via MacPorts natively are installed as .apps.