View Single Post
Old 15th August 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
  • Double check your disklabel, and ensure that that the "i" partition now starts at sector 63.

I checked it ; offset is 63.

Quote:
Ensure that mount point /usr/usb/externaldrives exists.
It exists.

Quote:
* While you can't seem to get a simple tool like dd(1) working for you, for unexplained reasons.... if you ever did, I would love to see the output of the first sector of the NTFS partition -- the 64th sector of the drive:

# dd if=/dev/rsd0c skip=63 count=1 | hexdump -C
Well this command returns:

Code:
# dd if=/dev/rsd0c skip=63 count=1 | hexdump -C 
dd: /dev/rsd0c: Invalid argument
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 0.000 secs (0 bytes/sec)
And i also opened an xconsole before running it and no kernel messages appeared.

Quote:
I believe that this was originally an NTFS partition, formatted under Windows (or perhaps shipped with that partition from the factory). You then reformatted it as a FAT partition from a non-Windows platform, such as Linux or BSD.
That is true; if i can remember well i reformatted it under Ubuntu Linux.

Quote:
To enable this partition for use on a Windows platform, you would need to edit the MBR partition table and change the partition type to a valid FAT32 type such as 0x0c. You can use fdisk(8) to do this, if you are careful.
So the type i should change it to is '0x0c' ? Well i think i will try it since i consider the data already lost after so many failed attempts.I have nothing to lose...except for the data. :P

Last edited by sepuku; 15th August 2011 at 07:05 PM.