View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd July 2008
Port Guard

Question ALTQ Question regarding

Hello,

I am running a FBSD 7 firewall @ home connected to a DSL line which I share with my wife.

One of the main problems that I have encountered is that when my wife surfs the internet my online gaming screeches to a halt untill the page has loaded and by that time I've been pwned

I was thinking about using ALTQ to prioritize the traffic and after checking out Daniel Hartmeier's page on "Prioritizing empty TCP ACKs" (http://www.benzedrine.cx/ackpri.html) I came up with the variation of his rule set.

Code:
ext_if="tun0"

cod_ports = "{28960:29000}"

altq on $ext_if priq bandwidth 400Kb queue { q_pri, q_def, q_cod, q_domain, q_ssh }

queue q_pri priority 10
queue q_cod priority 9
queue q_domain priority 8
queue q_ssh priority 7
queue q_def priority 1 priq(default)

pass out on $ext_if proto tcp from $ext_if to any flags S/SA keep state queue (q_def, q_pri)
pass in  on $ext_if proto tcp from any to $ext_if flags S/SA keep state queue (q_def, q_pri)

pass out on $ext_if proto udp from $ext_if to any port $cod_ports modulate state queue q_cod
pass in  on $ext_if proto udp from any to $ext_if port $cod_ports modulate state queue q_cod

pass out on $ext_if proto tcp from $ext_if to any port domain flags S/SA keep state queue q_domain
pass in  on $ext_if proto tcp from any to $ext_if port domain flags S/SA  keep state queue q_domain

pass out on $ext_if proto udp from $ext_if to any port domain modulate state queue q_domain
pass in  on $ext_if proto udp from any to $ext_if port domain modulate state queue q_domain

pass out on $ext_if proto tcp from $ext_if to any port ssh flags S/SA keep state queue q_ssh
pass in  on $ext_if proto tcp from any to $ext_if port ssh flags S/SA  keep state queue q_ss
I have two questions:

1) Can you specify a range of ports in a macro e.g. cod_ports = "{28960:29000}"?
2) Will the rest of the priority queues even come in to play or will the first priority queue override the rest?

Thanks