View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2011
Arp Constable

This is by recall, I decided that a dual boot system was not appropriate for my main work station and converted it to a straight OpenBSD system. I have not tried NetBSD.

I remember that I installed Debian 6.0 first and did not use any extended partitions. I used Slackware cfdisk to set the partitions and label the 4th partition as A6. I also had success with fdisk in openbsd setpid as A6 on an unlabeled 4th partition.

The OpenBSD installer will recognize the A6 partition and gave the option to use the OpenBSD partition. Of course I did not install the OpenBSD boot loader. After the OpenBSD install completed the default Debian /etc/grub.d entries did not recognize the OpenBSD partition but a custom entry (keeping in mind the different naming conventions between grub1 and grub2) worked.

I also did essentially the same thing with Arch Linux and OpenBSD - The default Arch install uses grub1.

The index post does not give alot details on the linux distro used, how the partitioning was initially done.

Last edited by shep; 11th March 2011 at 01:02 AM. Reason: 1) More information added 2) cfdisk vs debian partition followed by OBSD fdisk setpid added