View Single Post
Old 28th May 2009
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
XFree is still being maintained, but support for XFree was removed from the ports tree a few months ago -- I believe the version in ports was rather old anyway.
It would be interesting to see if it would work, all the fancy 3D features are not that interesting to many of the BSD people, who mainly prefer stability over performance ...

As for the Linux/Xorg integration ... It seems like a very hypothetical issue that may or may not happen ... I would rather worry about the issues at hand (i.e. Xorg becoming crappy&unstable) rather than the issues that may or may not occur...

And as for ``Linuxism'' in other applications: This is certainly true, but the difference is that a) There are often alternatives for the ``Linuxism apps'', and b) That Xorg is more than just any application, it is a critical part of a desktop system.
Actually Carpetsmoker. By "3D features" I just referring to the stuff that makes videogames run at high framerates (I know it's some sort of accerelation, or at least that is what gamers call it). I don't need compiz because I already have it under my M$ Linux partition.