View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st May 2015
The World is Yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw2wolf View Post
I ever heard of QNX many years ago. Do they still manufacture Blackberry in the future ?
I really doubt it. BlackBerry is organized into four divisions, one of which is the handset division, which hasn't been profitable in YEARS. The other three divisions, IIRC, are BlackBerry Messenger, the BES Stack, and QNX. Somehow, John Chen has managed to pull the company into profitability based on slashing the hardware division and creating value in the other three divisions. I think the future is bleak in the handset division, but there is opportunity for growth with QNX now that in-car infotainment systems are integrated with the rest of the car electronics system in a way that requires a real-time OS. BlackBerry also has some sort of new agreement with Google and another separate agreement with Samsung that will create end-to-end security for Android devices in a corporate environment.

The Passport was kind of their last effort at a relevant flagship. I love it. Media reviews were quite positive, but the general public and carriers ignored it. Since then, their two newest phones, the Classic and Leap, are really just old internals (Q10 and Z30 respectively, both from 2013) with newer looking designs. This week, BBRY just laid off a lot of their hardware division.

So if BlackBerry still exists in 5 years time, I expect the only thing you will see as an end-user, will be a brief BlackBerry logo as you switch your corporate Android phone from the personal profile to a locked-down "work" profile. I hope I'm wrong, as I believe there is still room for physical QWERTYs in the mobile space.

Mods feel free to move this to Off-Topic.