Thread: MTA thoughts
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by windependence View Post
I'll probably get flogged for this but take a look at Citadel if you want an easy one step, no hassle Collaboration suite. I like Zimbra as well but it doesn't run on *BSD. As a consultant, a good web interface (I didn't say GUI) is eesential. I Just don't have time to muck around remembering specific command when I can log into the web and fix it.
The problem with Citadel is that you can really tell it grew out of a BBS. It's not really a groupware system, but more like groupware features have been added to a BBS system. Plus the web interface is just plain ugly.

Same with OpenXchange, Scalix, and Merak Icewarp. Their web interfaces are just ugly, overly busy, and hard to use. At least compared to Zimbra 5. Maybe if we had started our testing with Scalix and the rest, we would have thought they were nice, but after first testing Zimbra for two months, with all its AJAXy goodness, the rest just don't compare. Plus, they just don't have the same connectivity options that Zimbra has (LDAP, IMAP, CalDAV, WebDAV, iCal, POP, SMTP, LMTP, Evolution Connector, Outlook Connector, SyncML, ActiveSync, BlackBerry Connector, etc). You can even use Kontact to access everything except your personal addressbook.

The only thing stopping us from going with Zimbra is the uncertainty over the whole "MS trying to buy Yahoo!" issue. Although their new perpetual license option does mitigate that risk a lot.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.