View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2010
New User

First thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjoter View Post
I am not sure but maybe firmware is required to run this card.
If you know any more, could you please elaborate on that? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Post the entire output of dmesg(8). The first step is determine what the kernel has identified.
I wish I could post the entire output, but unfortunately without wireless, I have no internet access. I googled a bit, and tried mounting the partition through my Fedora and Ubuntu LiveCDs with no success. If you have any advice on how to do this, I will gladly listen.

However, I did copy down the information that looked relevant to my issue:

mainbus0 at root
bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+ BIOS, date 09/23/09, SMBIOS rev. 2.4 @ 0xe8130 C35 entries
bios0: vendor INSYDE version "2.10" date 09/23/09
bios0: TOSHIBA Satellite L305

#####

cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
cpu0: apic clock running at 199MHz

#####

pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration made 1 (bios)

#####

ehci1 at pci0 dev 29 function 7 "Intel 82801I USB" rev 0x03: apic 4 int 23 (irq 11)
ehci1: timed out waiting for BIOS
usb1 at ehci1: USB revision 2.0
uhub1 at usb1 "Intel EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1

#####

urtw0 at uhub1 port 6 "Realtek RTL8187B rev 2.00/2.00 addr 2
urtw0: RTL8187B rev E, address 00:24:d2:dd:e6:0d

Most of it is gobbly-gook to me, but from what I can tell it looks like I have an integrated usb wireless card, which I, again, wish I could confirm, but Toshiba's documentation is rather lacking. And the wireless driver for Windows is something completely different (for an 8173 card or something weird like that, I just remember that I couldn't even find the card that corresponded to Toshiba's Windows driver on the Realtek site).

In addition, the Linux kernel also auto detects the card as the 'rtl8187', and that driver works fine in every circumstance. So unless I'm inputting the wrong commands, or you can think of something else, I'm guessing I have some strange proprietary card that was developed specifically for my machine, and that just happens to be compatible with the Linux driver, but not the BSD driver.