View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default System Monitoring Tools

Greetings:

I've noticed a few unnamed processes that are displayed by the logout/shutdown process window (with options to cancel, logout anyway, etc). I can't identify the process - since the name is listed as "unknown".

Q1: I noticed that OBSD's version of Gnome doesn't carry the system monitoring tools that graphically display the processes, cpu/network/memory usage, etc. Do OBSD use other tools?

Q2: As for other Window Managers such as GNUStep, XFCE, WindowMaker (not a KDE user at the present; but presume they have some) are there any similar tools for them?

Q3: While browsing the web at night, noticed that the hard drive would 'spool up' and engage for a few good minutes. It usually spools up at night; and the last time it happened, I was in a chat session on Facebook w/a old schoolmate. Is there a background process that is responsible for it (sweeper, cleaning up /tmp), or has my install been compromised?

I'm usually the only one who has physical access to this machine. I'm probably going to backup and reinstall; but wanted to see if there are other things to consider next time around.

Thanks

Last edited by IronForge; 27th October 2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Grammar, typos - distracted from stepping away from desk often