View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx View Post
... my boss wants to document the project and present it to some organization that people trust in germany. that organization will give us a license to prove that our system is "ok" from technical/security stand point.
I give you my two bits from the view of someone who spends most of his time writing and reviewing the writing of others, though not in the computer field. The cardinal rule of all writing is to write to your audience, and give them what they want or expect. In your case, that is the German company who will issue you the license (or not). If I were in your place, I would try to talk with a person in that company for guidance on what they are looking for, or perhaps some people whose companies have submitted this sort of documentation for review. Then you can fit the details of what is required technically to the story you want to tell.

You don't mention where you are located, but if you are not in Germany, be aware that business in Germany is more formal than it is in the US. You can't just pick up the telephone to identify the right people. Your boss, if he is the company representative, would have to talk to his counterpart in Germany, who would introduce him to a proper contact in the review company; they would decide who in their organizations would talk (or email) with his chosen party (namely, you). Language should be no issue.

Once it is clear what the goal of the review is, and how it is conducted, you should be in a much better position to write the document. It seems that this is none too clear at the moment.