View Single Post
Old 9th January 2009
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knasbas View Post
but isnt it possible to keep openbsd safe without rtfm of every possible little command there is in unix?
You are exaggerating in order to make your point- to answer your point, I would say "no". You are asking if it's possible for an individual to keep openbsd safe without being on top of the OS and the applications they run on it. Of course not. No combination of operating system and set of applications can be kept safe when the person maintaining that combination has little more than cursory knowledge of it.

And that's not OpenBSD's fault- that's true for any operating system, any set of applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knasbas View Post
Why cant i have stability, security and features? and to tell me im confused, gees man thats really so low i wont even comment.
I think that it's not insulting to say that you are confused- everyone here is actually trying to help. But I would say that you are confusing your role as a user and your role as a system administrator. This whole line of questioning seems to be from the perspective of a user, which is completely justifiable.

But it's also quite clear that you are also the system administrator of the machine, and system administrators must have a thorough understanding of what they are administrating, or pay someone else to.

The prime example of this is any normal residential user's home system. They have absolutely zero knowledge of their operating system or applications, but they don't have anyone even semi-professional looking after their system. And so it gets hacked. If you take the same approach, you'll eventually have the same level of risk, regardless of what you use.