View Single Post
Old 9th June 2009
Arp Constable

Most of my computers have either Hitachi or Maxter IDE drives, there is also one Western Digital in the mix. They have always worked well, the Maxter in particular is an old bucket of bolts that has taken a lickin' and kept on tickin' - while I've always wanted to try Seagate, I would buy Maxters given a suitable price.

Since my first hard drive in ~2000 I have never had a hard drive fail, only 1 hard drive controller. (And the associated hard disk was about 250-320mb or so). When it comes to back ups the only thing I realy worry about is a hard drive failure: data is stored on 3 hard disks in different locations of the building.

Some of the comments about laptop hard disks makes me worry, since my laptops old, slow, cheap hard disk gets a workout quite often... but it makes me glad that despite the abuse, it doesn't get banged around very often...

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.