View Single Post
Old 21st October 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Could anybody be so kind and tell me when Internet Explorer and Safari were
ported to *BSD? I must have missed something.

To stay on the same note, I don't know what was criteria used to list browsers but I find it funny that two main stream browsers were left out from the list: Midori and Kazehakase. Obviously Google Chrome also has far more chance to be ported one day to *BSD than Internet Explorer.

Personally, I can not stand Gecko engine so for me the choice is clear. It is either Opera (Presto engine) or Midori (WebKit). Since, I am OpenBSD user I would have to give slight advantage to Midori. There are no native Opera binaries for OpenBSD and I do not like to turn on Linux compatibility layer as it is against my religion.

In my point of view Midori is far more promising project than Opera (Unless Opera goes open source). Obviously Midori has still problems with stability.

I also want to say for the record that potentially the best web-browser by 10 fold is Dillo2 but unless developers move quickly to get OpenSSL really working and get support for Java Script (I hate JS as all of you but it is unfortunate reality of the Net) it is going to remain just a joke. Based on past experience (two years freeze) I am not confident that would ever happen. The fact that tabular browsing was
higher priority for Dillo2 developers than OpenSSL is a very bad sign. So go Dillo2 but in the mean time I am trying to stick to Midori.

Speaking of text browsers I really like Lynx but I unfortunately need JS support. Apart of that Lynx ROCKS. Elinks is on the another hand almost full featured web-browser. It needs mostly code fixing when it comes to JS as its
support for it is VERY limited. Unfortunately the elinks is on OpenBSD pre-compiled without Java Script support
(spidermonkey).

Links developers seems lost. instead of fixing usability problems they started adding GUI and CSS support. That is just the death of Links browser in my book.

Last edited by Oko; 21st October 2008 at 07:28 PM.