View Single Post
Old 24th August 2011
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepuku View Post
... but had no patience...
That's been evident all along.
Quote:
1)msdos ,40gigabytes as an intermediary partition from and to OpenBSD between the other OSes.
This requires an MBR partition table too. You will need two MBR partitions: one of type 0x0B or 0x0C for your FAT32 partition, another of type 0xA6 for your OpenBSD partition(s). Your "k" partition would map to the same sectors as the A6 MBR partition, if it is the only BSD partition on the drive.
Code:
newfs_msdos /dev/rsd0i
You may not be using FAT32, as you did not format with the -F 32 option.
Quote:
I need to mount both partitions everytime i attach the disk or the one i need everytime?
Only the one(s) you need. You can populate them in your fstab(5) with the "noauto" option, so that the OS will not attempt to mount them during boot.
Quote:
Also how i set in which partition a file will be saved?I mean if i cd to disk i see no directories or anything.It's completely empty.
You mount a partition to a mount point. This is a directory ("folder", in Windows terminology) somewhere in your hierarchy. You create directory structures after mounting with the mkdir(1) command.

Let us pretend you had two directories you wanted to use as mount points. You decide one of them will be /var/shared, the other will be /usr/local/stuff.

After you create the directories, and mounting your two partitions, you can then create directory structures underneath them, and save files there accordingly.

Example:

# mkdir /var/shared /usr/local/stuff
# mount_msdos -l /dev/sd0k /var/shared
# mount /dev/sd0i /usr/local/stuff
# mkdir /usr/local/stuff/things
# cp /root/myfile /usr/local/stuff/things
# cd /usr/local/stuff
# cp things/myfile /var/shared/

The creation of the mount points is only needed once. The mount commands can be simplified, if you put the information into fstab as mentioned above.

# mount /var/shared

Yes, there are graphical file managers and even mount managers that you can use with your X Windows environment so you don't have to learn to use commands in a shell.