View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th July 2012
bsdstudent

Thank you Teacher !!
On this page :
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ug/battery.htm
Quote:
NOTES: A charge indicator that blinks rapidly indicates a temporary failure or a potentially recoverable failure such as overheating. Allow the battery to cool for several minutes before checking the charge level again.

If the battery has permanently failed or completely discharged, no charge indicators will light when you press the battery test button. If you install a failed or completely discharged battery in the computer and the battery status indicator turns red, the battery has failed. If the battery status indicator turns red, allow the battery to charge overnight and check it the next day. If the battery is fully discharged, it takes a much longer time than usual to recharge it.
I recall the problem starts when the green cmos broke .. but again this coincided with me forsaking the laptop for a long time -with battery on, my mistake- .. whether the battery failed because discharged or because of cmos I'll try leaving laptop plugged for a night as indicated and see .. eventhough I fear fires : same page says :
Quote:
A battery problem may prevent the battery from being charged to its full potential and can lead to unpredictable operation