View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th June 2008
Port Guard

Default Newbies questions about FreeBSD + Music & e17 !

Hi everyone !

Well I'm still using linux and not completely satisfied with it (lots of crashes and new bugs appear that weren't there before). I want to give a try to FreeBSD as it seems to match what I'm looking for. (I've read throughout this excellent presentation :
http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/ )

So I think maybe I can give FreeBSD a try. Looks more stable, better organized etc.

I have found all software I usually need in the ports so that's fine.

But I still have some questions :
1°) In the documentation I've seen something about preemption in the kernel (default option) but I haven't found anything about real time. In linux, it's possible to install a real time kernel what's useful to make music. Is it possible in FreeBSD (I guess in this case I have to compile a kernel) ?
2°) I guess it shouldn't be a problem to install e17 from CVS...
3°) The documentation of FreeBSD let me feel it is really really complicated to install and run FreeBSD : is it *that* complicated ? (about hardware identification for example : as long as my hardware is conventionnal, do I really need to get a list of it before starting the installation ?). I know I'm coming from the Linux world and well, there are differences in the commands but is it that difficult to learn ?? I mean, I already have a quite good idea about what a shell is etc. etc. And I expect there are differences, that's no surprise for me.

Alright, these are all newbies questions I couldn't figure out the answers in the doc (if there are in the doc, could you give me a hint about where ?)

Thanks for any help & for putting me at rest !

Nicolas
PS if there are any english errors it's because I'm french

PPS I've found there's no alsa in FreeBSD : isn't it a problem to make music ? Does anyone here use FreeBSD to make music ? (recording, mixing, mastering etc.)

Last edited by nico_h; 24th June 2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: added PPS