View Single Post
Old 7th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Debian has a very rigorous package testing process. The stable branch is seldom updated with revision releases, and occasionally point releases. It will not have the latest software available because of Debian's opinion that the latest does not always mean the stablest (if that's a work). So, if you're not using Debian in a production environment, then I'd recommend upgrading to Debian Lenny/Testing. You'll have access to newer packages that have been tested and are being used to develop the new release. I run Debian Sid/Unstable, which has not given me any trouble yet. I also use packages from the experimental branch. You may want to give Sid a try if you want a rolling release system and up-to-date packages. The other option for you is to setup a mixed system. This involves APT pinning, which allows you to give priority to which branch you want to use more than others. You can also explicitly specify the branch when you use APT. Debian is quite robust, so the possibilities are endless.