View Single Post
Old 12th March 2012
Risen from the ashes

I'm still waiting for good ol' turn-based RPGs to make a comeback. I really, really, really, really (did I mention REALLY?) dislike real-time RPGs. And third-person/second-person/first-person click-fests (like WoW, Diablo, and their ilk) are some of the worst. I want to control a party of characters of various classes, and take my time to pick and choose their actions for each turn. I want to actually THINK, and not just twitch-react to things. I want my RPG time to be enjoyable, not stressful (except when facing huge enemy parties with lots of big bad boss-types).

I had such high hopes for NeverWinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, and the Icewind Dale series of Forgotten Realms RPG games. But after actually playing Icewind Dale I and II, I have to say that cRPGs are just adventure games with characters that level up.

I was really hoping for improved graphics on top of the old Forgotten Realms / Pools of Twilight / DragonLance RPGs from the late 80s/ealry 90s. To me, that was the golden age of cRPGs. Everything since has just been the FPS-ification of RPGs.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.