View Single Post
Old 24th November 2009
UNIX lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
How do you expect ZFS to be developed after the dead of SUN Microsystem?
ZFS is a proprietary product with CDDL license. Who is going to develop it after the mother company is dead? Lets not kid ourself. Sparc is dead and so is Solaris and so iz ZFS although the corp is still warm. The only way that Solaris and ZFS could have survived was if SUN really open sourced them with BSD license as Wasabi did with WAPBL. That move would have cost share holders 8 billion dollars so I think it is silly to compare Wasabi and SUN.

I will repeat my comment from the FreeBSD forums regarding FreeNAS. Any BSD user who needs bunch of PHP programmers to configure various services for him should be asking himself/herself why do you use BSDs to begin with.

As of number of drivers, developer community, and the rest of the comments regarding BSDs and FreeBSD in particular by FreeNAS developers they are mostly right on money. But it is silly from them to compare a huge commercial proprietary operating system like Linux with something which is more of hobby (research at best) Operating System. If that was the goal they should have picked RedHat Linux and build the storage based on it from the very beginning. It is also silly that they are replacing one hobby project (FreeBSD) with another Debian. That just shows total immaturity.

>How do you expect ZFS to be developed after the dead of SUN Microsystem?

Well, Oko, I hope that Sun survives. But as I said, I have a very bad feeling about it ;-)