Thread: Alpine Linux
View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aht0 View Post
it's AWall is pretty offputting though.

Sure, IPFW port exists in package repository but it does not seem to support NATing.

Maybe it's me being picky
AWall looks like Alpine Linux front-end for iptables which in turn are based of FreeBSD's IPFW. I don't see anything particularly bad or good with AWall. It is a standard Linux firewall. Alpine Linux was brought to my attention by two unrelated articles. Namely an Alpine Linux was a first Linux distro to adopt mandoc and Paul Onyschuk is personally responsible for existence of man command in mandoc in words of Ingo Schwarze

Quote:
But then, on August 9 this year Paul Onyschuk of Alpine Linux (you know, the first Linux distro that integrated mandoc, in July 2010) asked me:

:: Are there any plans for providing man(1) command also? This would
:: make mdocml a possible, standalone replacement for groff and man-db
:: combination (typical in Linux distributions).

Almost immediately I returned my standard negative answer, but then I stopped short and realized that almost all the needed code was already there and it cheaply allows doing fancy things without complexity. I had to do the mandoc 1.13.1 and 1.12.4 releases first, so it took two weeks from the idea to the first working implementation... :-)

Secondly after becoming interesting in Xen I realized that Alpine Linux is probably the best home for Dom0 there is. Namely Alpine Linux offers a minimal Dom0 system (Busybox, UClibc) that can be run from removable media, like USB sticks.

Alpine Linux seems to take security and many other things more seriously than most well known Linux distribution. It is also very lean for a server grade OS. Guess what. Alpine Linux is one of handful Linux distros which doesn't use systemd. It uses OpenRC.

Last edited by Oko; 13th May 2015 at 03:32 AM.