View Single Post
Old 24th August 2011
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepuku View Post
I think the disk is useful only for recycling right now.
I don't.

I think there is some sort of issue still remaining, that may be repairable. All it will take is time to make that determination, with very little actual effort.

Assumptions: Ubuntu can communicate with the disk, OpenBSD can't (right now).

If it were me with these problems, this is what I would do:
  1. Run badblocks with the -w option to test every sector, as I've recommended over and over. I'd do it that from Ubuntu, since OpenBSD is having trouble. As far as I know, you have yet to verify drive usability. (This will take time -- perhaps more than a week. But the problem has already gone on that long, and 2TB drives are costly.)
  2. Run smartctl with the -a option from Ubuntu, and confirm that all known bad blocks are now converted to spares. (If the drive converts so many to spares that it runs out of spare sectors, it will still have bad blocks after step 1. Then you can dispose of it, knowing that it is no longer to be trusted.)

3. Create an MBR sector and an MBR partition for a portable filesystem between my various systems. From Ubuntu. I would use either FAT32, Ext2, or UFS, depending on my particular needs. (I would also consider the applicability of network attached storage solutions, eliminating the need for filesystem portability, and select NFS, AFS, or SMB, if a networked solution was optimal.)
  4. At this point, and only at this point, I would then move the drive over to OpenBSD, and once more conduct a set of diagnostic tests, confirming I can read and write successfully to the drive. My tests would eliminate as many variables as possible, and if I were able to reproduce your odd errors without kernel messages, I would include some diagnostic tools we have not discussed in this thread, such as systrace(1) and ktrace(1) to determine what might be a root cause. I might begin with -current, rather than -release, as that is an easy test to see if the problem is software, and if it has already been fixed by the Project. If it is an unresolved software problem, -current makes it easier for a fix to be developed and committed.
  5. Once my OpenBSD problem has been resolved, then I would create an A6 MBR partition, create a BSD disklabel, and add partitions as needed for use with FFS filesystems. But only after the problems were resolved.

Last edited by jggimi; 24th August 2011 at 07:05 PM.