View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2009
More noise than signal

1. Install the applicable ports tree for your release/flavor of the OS in /usr/ports.
  2. Change to the /usr/ports/sysutils/symon directory, and use "make patch" to download and patch the symon software. The patch to mbuf, as I mentioned above, will apply if you are running a modern enough system.
  3. Look at the working directory. Depending on your OS currency and any local customized environment variables, this might be /usr/ports/obj/symon-<version>/symon-<version>/
  4. Examine the ../platform/OpenBSD/sm_if.c module. This is the module that collects NIC data.
  5. Note that it collects data with ioctl(3).
  6. If you have the skill, you can write your own ioctl(3) program, and collect the data yourself, looking for negative values. You can then prove to yourself whether the values returned are being reflected in charting correctly or not.
  7. If the values are negative, you could post to misc@ and ask for advice from kernel developers regarding how to interpret them.
  8. If the values are never negative, but are reflected as such by symon, you will need to determine the root cause within symon. You can, as I recommended, engage the maintainer to assist you with this step.
  9. If you do not have the skills for steps 6-8, yourself, you could use OpenBSD's built in netstat(1) utilility while also using symon, looking for discrepancies.
  10. You could also just report your problems with symon to the ports@ mailing list, if nothing else.
I will repeat, posting graphs is not helpful. Nor is the unreadable configuration file you attached.