View Single Post
Old 21st February 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_H View Post
>I would really like a more FreeBSD-like Linux distro to arise and take over the Linux world.

Slack & Arch, but the latter lacks the quality (compared to *BSD) and Slack the comfort of the ports (well there is pkgsrc but who cares ;-)). Ubuntu will take over the Linux world, but ... okay no flame
I could never get pkgsrc to work reliably with anything else except NetBSD and DragonFly? Maybe it is going to change now when NetBSD switches to XOrg. Does it work well on Slack?

What about SluckBuilds? That seems like a very primitive ports infrastructure. Could it be fixed into full blown ports system? I honestly thing that without proper packaging system Slack with all its qualities is just a hobbyist system.

The number of various Linux distros without any serious goals despite the fact that there are only couple real distros (CentOS, Debian, Slackware) is so repulsive. Even distros like CentOS and Debian are trying to cater
everything to everybody. CentOS is probably the best since in my understanding is focused on server market supporting only couple architectures. That looks serious at least.

I am a firm believer that all applications should be run natively. It
is a sad reality that there are far more commercial
applications for Linux than for any flavor of BSD. So I guess that
one sometimes can not avoid using Linux but man I wish there were
little bit more commercial applications for BSD.