View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th June 2015
OpenBSD language porter

It's disappointing that you felt the need to lash out.

Nowhere did I charge academia with being uncaring. The idea that criticism against someone must be something that properly characterizes that person isn't uncaring, it's very much the opposite. As for you being a troll, well, your behavior has left a lot to be desired. While you may not be a troll in Whitney Phillips's subcultural sense, telling someone that they need to "take their meds," continuing to whine about criticism with which you disagree, and routinely mischaracterizing another's argument is not generally the hallmark of conversing in good faith.

I am genuinely willing to accept that you do not fully understand the issues being discussed here. But then again, the reply really isn't "for" you: public performance of disagreement is mostly about the performative aspect, and is for the benefit of the audience. I want those reading to have an understanding of why the video presents a potentially dangerous world view. I would say I have mostly succeeded in doing so.

To answer your most recent question, which you have now asked for only the first time: Yes, but not at the expense of grave economic and social injustice because that is a dangerous way of thinking. That is the point that the speaker in the video has clearly missed, and the point I have now made multiple times. Again, your question would force me to uphold an opinion I do not hold. And even if I did, your question is irrelevant to what I am saying.

While you are entitled to continue your whining, I am not obliged to treat it as worthwhile. Just like I am not obliged to take the argument in that video as worthwhile.