View Single Post
Old 8th January 2009
Spam Deminer

Quote:
nijatux, I have no idea what you're talking about. We don't "have" to do anything with Slackware. I built hundreds of packages by tracking down all the real dependencies, choosing my own build options etc. and I set up a very nice system for myself that I use day in and day out without any problems. I chose Slackware over other distros specifically because I have to understand exactly what goes into my system and I have enough control without having to be a kernel developer. I make my own packages including only what I want and nothing else- no bloat. If I wanted a packaged system there are many to choose from, however that type of system is not for me. One of the things that bothers me most about Free, Net, and to a lesser extent OpenBSD is the package bloat. You have to install what the package maintainer wants, not what you want. I can build a Slackware system in about half the space of a similarly-equipped BSD.
Customize the ports. A lot of ports that have developer-supported customizations will ask you, upon compile, to choose the options you want to use. If a port doesn't have developer-supported options, then you can modify the Makefile. There are also documents knobs that you can set at compile time or permanently in make.conf. As vermaden mentioned, you can also force package removal at any time. So, even if something is compiled as a dependency and it's not actually required, then remove it. I can be blunt here. You came here expecting something similar to Slackware. You can achieve the same results as you did on Slackware with any BSD, but the methods are different. You need to read about those methods. I can give you a starting point. This is my make.conf. Thanks to vermaden for making his available when I was learning two years ago.