View Single Post
Old 31st May 2008
New User

This is way off topic but I just want to mention that I am planning to use this system as a desktop system if possible. To be honest, the only programs that I really need is mozilla thunderbird, firefox, xchat, text editor, gnupg, truecrypt, and encfs. That's about it...and this is just a test machine to see how it all works out.
Quote:
Security reasons. xdm/gdm, as userland applications, are basically being used to shuttle user credentials during authentication. Given that X has a long history of security flaws, using it as sparingly as possible is a good thing.
I did remember reading something about X and having the driver enabled. According to /etc/sysctl.conf, the line starting with machdep.allowaperture= is currently set to 2 which means that the driver is enabled. But what if I disabled it, can I still use other display managers?

I've checked out your site jggimi...recently I've had experience working with gnome and xfce but not the others. Is there a secure/safe alternative display manager that you or anyone can recommend me other than xdm--since xdm has a long history of security flaws.
GN-WPKG RT2560F ral(4) Chipset
533 MHz AMD K-6 Processor
56K ITU V.90 modem 3
64MB of RAM
145 watts PSU