View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th December 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
Is this overreach into what we do in our own time on our own equipment becoming part of the standard employment contract most places push?
To say that it is standard or becoming standard is not something I can address. I only know of the companies I have worked for or hear through anecdotes bantered about.

The fundamental issue is that intellectual property is considered vitally important, & something legal departments can & do prosecute today. If one is attempting to do work which might be considered significant outside of the employment agreement, then it is paramount to maintain a record showing that in no way was corporate resources used in the development of said work. If there are questions on what this entails, consult with a lawyer.

In addition & as important, it is paramount to be able to prove that no knowledge acquired through employment is used in the development of outside projects. This is a murkier topic, & if one has questions, consult with a lawyer.

Yes, this is a litigious society, & yes, the legal system has not caught up with technology. There are lots of idiosyncrasies which are confusing. If you find that your own activities are the cause for concern, consult with a lawyer.