View Single Post
Old 12th November 2008
New User

How good is FreeBSD as a cluster? Can it work with iSCSI? Say one wants to create a high-availability database cluster with say two nodes (active/passive) using iSCSI? Any reason not to use FreeBSD?

How good is vendor support for FreeBSD on servers (or vice versa)? Say an enterprise buys everything from one of the big ones: Dell, HP, IBM, others. How new (or old) does the hardware have to be for FreeBSD to support things like raid cards, hard drive hot swap, and others?

Another reason I see with FreeBSD in the enterprise is that there are not enough people with knowledge as for Linux. Say someone wants to hire an outside consultant or some in-house person, I think maybe they will have a harder time finding FreeBSD folks than Linux people. From what I have experienced, this issue alone can drive a lot of decisions against FreeBSD.

I am trying to gather as many reasons as possible so that a better picture comes up of where FreeBSD is lagging behind comparable solutions. So far all input is appreciated.