View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th August 2008
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
When installing a kernel, the current kernel automatically gets copied to /boot/kernel.old, so this is a bit redundant ...
What if you compile a new kernel, it fails to boot, you boot off 'kernel.old', to fix and build another kernel. Then the makefile nukes kernel.old with the broken kernel?

--> people should copy it to something else like kernel.GENERIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by If Something Goes Wrong
Note: If you are having trouble building a kernel, make sure to keep a GENERIC, or some other kernel that is known to work on hand as a different name that will not get erased on the next build. You cannot rely on kernel.old because when installing a new kernel, kernel.old is overwritten with the last installed kernel which may be non-functional. Also, as soon as possible, move the working kernel to the proper /boot/kernel location or commands such as ps(1) may not work properly. To do this, simply rename the directory containing the good kernel:

I don't know about you, but I don't like reaching for a boot disk!!!!

I've never had a kernel that *compiled* and failed to work correctly but as I always say.... "If curiosity killed the cat, paranoia saved its ninth life". I doubt it's possible to get royally screwed but better safe then sorrier.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.