View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th February 2010
Arp Constable

Assuming no one rolls it back (etc), I've also taken the liberty of updating Wikipedia's page here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...Es#C.2FC.2B.2B for ones that run on FreeBSD (minus jvm/clr ones)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellar View Post
QT would be runnable both on gnome and kde?
Qt will generally run everywhere, you can look at the platforms support here. As far as Qt is concerned, Gnome/KDE is just another window manager; in fact, KDE has been built using Qt since the beginning.

Under unix systems, there is no real 'native' GUI look/feel like there is on Windows/Macs, it just merely that Xlib, Motif, Tk, GTK+, and Qt are the accepted norms for what a GUI app will like. (the first two, being archaic compared to the last) Most apps are GTK+ or Qt; like wise WxWidgets typically uses GTK+ as a backend for X11, although it used to use Motif 'back in the day'.

Some IDEs integrate with certain toolkits better then others, e.g. Anjuta -> GTK+, Code::Blocks -> WxWidgets, QtCreator -> Qt4; but all the IDEs are basically agnostic to it, as long as you explain to them, "This is how to build the damn program, chop chop!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellar View Post
I guess there is no sdl on bsd?i saw you were posted your linking problem here,and from the path i see your game have clien-server based?it means it gonna support multiplayer??
SDL is functional enough on BSD, along with several common libraries that mesh with it (e.g. SDL_image). Because of issues with most popular third party software for making games, FreeBSD is IMHO not a good platform for games, but hey I want to be able to play my games on my BSD laptop too xD.

Stargella is planned as principally 2D mouse driven game, the shooter as 3D one, and the mech games fate is still undecided whether it will look more like an old NES game or a full cockpit and battlefield simulation; but each game project is meant to be using the same core 'engine' code base so to speak. My current code does use SDL, but in much the same way that the red book uses GLUT: abstracting the task of making an application window and handling input devices. When the rendering code is functional, it'll need to be usable for both 2D and 3D games, one method or another of implementing that, which basically necessitates using OpenGL.

The main problem with SDL, is that its graphics stuff is a tad useless for serious 3D work . Once you want to go beyond stuff like SDL_BlitSurface, the library is useless IMHO save what what it nets you in portability. It does however make it easier to use OpenGL, a keyboard, and a mouse, without having to write even more code.

I do think however, that discussing Stargella/etc and their design architecture, is a bit unrelated to your C/C++ IDEs issue. But hey, it's your thread... lol

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.