View Single Post
Old 27th May 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
TerryP said XFree86 & Xorg primarily targeted x86 PC's, and he's right Oko... XFree86 only started in 1991, guess what the 86 in XFree86 is representing?
I am not going to argue with you as I deeply respect your knowledge and experience. I personally have used X first time 1992 in Belgrade on Dec Micro VAX 3100 runing Digital Unix. Since, I moved to U.S. (1995) I have used X on XTerms (thin clients) made by NEC which were attached to SUN Ultra Enterprise server, I have used Indy, and some later SGI hardware and only once I had honor of playing with some DEC alphas. When I rose through the ranks I believe my first office computer was SUN blade 100. First, time I personally have used PC computer was 2002. It was running RedHat Linux. During all that time I have successfully managed never to use PCs, DOS, or Windows. In early nineties because I had Atari ST and Amiga. After moving to U.S. I was too poor for a long time to have my own personal computer so by the time I had little money (read I was too poor to buy a MAC) Windows environment and PC hardware were so foreign to me that
I didn't care for the software part at least. I wish, I could say the same for hardware.

Last edited by Oko; 27th May 2009 at 01:50 AM.