View Single Post
Old 6th August 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Hello,

Thanks - Gnumeric looks interesting (aside from forcing Gnome to be installed). I haven't had to do any graphs yet. I'm going to give OpenOffice a shot and see how it does (and I'm planning on having WinXP available via virtualization).

What I'm using Excel for instance - my boss wrote a perl script that takes an Excel generated CSV file and converts it to a DHCP entry(ies), so all you have to do is cut and paste into dhcpd.conf. This is nice for when you have to add 70 new hosts and someone emails you an Excel spreadsheet with their information in it. This method takes less than five minutes compared to how long to type in all that information manually (though, I still see room for improved automation).

I use Word to write up reports on, say, usage of a certain program. I could easily, probably much more so, write it up in OO and save it as an .odt or .rtf file, but my bosses would probably flip their lids if I did (not good for me). Where I work is slooowly coming around to alternatives, but they are still very hand-in-hand with Microsoft.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)