View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd September 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnz View Post
... I haven't really used raid before...
Stop right there. RAID has nothing to do with cryptographics. The softraid(4) driver can do some things which provide software RAID capability, and it can also conduct cryptographics.
RAID stands for Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks, or Redundant Array of Independent Disks. It was devised at the University of California, Berkeley. As initially concieved, there were a number of different methodologies devised, and assigned a series of different numbers, such as RAID 1 (mirroring) or RAID 5 (parity data interspersed with user data). This even included something they called RAID 0, which has no redundancy capability at all, and should have been called "AID" instead of "RAID". See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID for details.
Quote:
What is softraid0? Is it just a controller of some kind?
A driver. See above.
Quote:
I was able to make 2 encrypted volumes both using softraid0 (bioctl -c C -l /dev/sd0j softraid0; bioctl -c C -l /dev/sd0k softraid0; ) but I heard that you can have more... (like softraid1, 2, etc...) but why? Is there a limit or something?
Only one softraid pseudo device is defined in /usr/src/sys/conf/GENERIC. There should be no need for additional softraid devices. The softraid(4) man page is the definitive place to go for understanding.
Quote:
How do to "undo" an encrypted volume? Say I did bioctl -c C -l /dev/sd0j softraid0; and sd0 appears but I want to undo that... is this just something you don't do with a RAID configuration?
Per the bioctl(8) man page, see the "-d" option. The sd device will be deleted, and the unencrypted data will no longer be available to the OS.
Quote:
Lastly is there a way to create an encrypted volume using a file? ...
No. Please read the bioctl(8) man page. A -device- is required.