View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravuhaw2C View Post
Since you regard what I wrote in post #12 as FUD, please stop reading below this line. Do NOT take it the wrong way: I am helping you save time.
I'm not going to engage in a pissing match with you here but it is important to correct your misstatements for future readers.

Quote:
The reason I have no patches to offer is I am NO computer geek. I ain't NO developer. I am just an end-user for the ride.

If you manage to read this far, brace yourself for a big shock: I do NOT know how to file bug reports.
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq2.html#Bugs
Right there in the FAQ. Easily visible from the FAQ main page.

Quote:
I disagree. By disagreeing with you there is a strong possibility that I might be persona non grata. However I worry NOT 'cos I am just here for the ride.
You are certainly allowed to disagree. However, you are wrong. Those are not mutually exclusive categories. It in no way identifies you as persona non grata, just someone who disagrees and is wrong simultaneously.

Quote:
Android OS, IOS and Microsoft Windows OS are examples of non-niche products. You could see there have been lots of creative/innovative energies poured into them.
You clearly don't even know just how much OpenBSD is in Android, it'd shock you to the bone. Go read the code. You also conflate mainstream being equal to creative/innovative energies. That's a malformed analogy. There is plenty of creative/innovative energies being poured into OpenBSD everyday.

Quote:
As I ain't NO computer geek, IT programmer, etc... I know my place in the pecking order where OpenBSD is concerned.
Programming is not the only way to drive the bus. There are people on the team who are responsible for writing manual pages, writing the FAQ, etc. There is room for everyone and their unique talents. I'm sorry that point did not reach you. As I stated before, you only envision yourself on a pecking order because you see OpenBSD as a static entity. It is not: it is a dynamic structure. I am positive that if one were to take the time to try to contribute, one would see the dynamic nature of the project (and this really is a tautology: all human endeavors are dynamic).

Quote:
Oh I see, I am now THE ONE with a problem and that's because of what? Spreading FUD, you say?
Yes, vague statements alluding to the inapplicability of something when such inapplicability does not exist is pretty much the definition of FUD.

Quote:
OK, OK...I get it. I know my place in this pecking order. If you say my post #12 contains FUD, please suppress (read: delete) it. I won't lose my sleep over it.
I'm not an admin here so I couldn't delete your post even if I wanted to. And I wouldn't want to if I could. There is value to what has transpired here. Perhaps, as Oko mentioned, parts of this thread could be spun off by an admin into (multiple?) new threads. But I think deleting the posts would be completely wrong and deny valuable lessons to aspiring contributors.

Quote:
I do NOT think that's the real reason. The real reason is, OpenBSD being a niche product, there's not enough developers and contributors to creating installers for platforms that have X and those that do not.
Again, you're allowed to disagree. Again, you are also completely wrong. Again, these are not mutually exclusive domains.

Quote:
I do NOT use a floppy disk for installation. I download only the install5x.iso which is about 200-ish MB in size. On a fiber broadband with about 1 Gpbs download speed, it takes me mere seconds to grab it from OpenBSD's servers.
What you personally use is irrelevant to the project. I for one am happy you seem to live in a first-world country where access to technology appears to be as fundamental a right as food. Now stop being selfish and consider that there are other places in this world where this technological access is severely diminished. And then realize that there are more of the latter places than the former. I'm glad to see you've never taken a moment out of your life to consider those people. It must be nice to inhabit a world where ideas of social justice need never be entertained.

What is relevant is the project's goals. One of those goals is to allow installation of OpenBSD from floppy disks. This explanation is but one part of a complex matrix of design and philosophical decisions that have resulted in the OpenBSD installer looking the way it does.

Quote:
Define quality, constructive improvements.
Sure!
This is an example of a non-constructive attempt:
"Your installer sucks because it doesn't have a GUI. The only way I could take OpenBSD seriously is if it had a GUI installer."
This is an example of a constructive attempt:
"OpenBSD lacks a GUI installer. I tried reading the mailing lists but have found no explanation as to why. I would like to work on such an installer, are there any caveats to doing this?"
(Ignore the fact that in this case, there are discussions on the mailing lists as to why there is no GUI installer.)
This constructive attempt doesn't even have code in it!
This would be a nearly ideal attempt:
"The installer is confusing on this step, here's some wording changes that I think would make it better."
And if you could include a diff including that wording, it would be ideal.

Quote:
Oh my bad, please disregard it. I forgot you do NOT like to be drawn into a game of semantics. (sarcasm on the word "game")
My objection was based on your intentional conflation of synonyms.