View Single Post
Old 8th January 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by knasbas View Post
I am so dissapointed that im almost speechless. Either my english is so bad that almost none understood what i wrote or asked or noone just cared cause it was more entertaining to explain to me about security and updates.
There were no huge errors in your English, or in your grammer. Your content was typed lazily, but it was readable. However it looked to me like you needed to replace your keyboard, and find one with a functioning spacebar.
Quote:
Do you think i do not know its meant to upgrade 3.6-3.7-3.8 and to keep all patches up to date?
Since your systems spent years out of maintenance, I had no idea if you had rebuilt -stable systems during release lifetimes. You said you "updated to stable". You didn't say when, or how often. That's why I asked.
Quote:
Why doesnt some understand "I do not intend to learn every bit and pieces of how the system works, i dont care and is honestly not intrested.."?
You don't have to know how the system works. You just have to know the minimum to maintain it, and care to do so.
Quote:
...isnt it possible to keep openbsd safe without rtfm of every possible little command there is in unix?
Yes. Just upgrade it before end-of-life. You've been able to boot the ramdisk kernel and use the install scripts. The upgrade script is very much like the install script, except it doesn't install etc* or xetc* filesets. Then all you need to do is read the appropriate upgrade FAQ, understand the impact, and then either manually update files accordingly or use mergemaster or sysmerge.

If this is too much for you, choose a different OS.
Quote:
Why cant i have stability, security and features? and to tell me im confused, gees man thats really so low i wont even comment.
Is it? I think I used the word "possible." All I have to go on is what you type.
Quote:
...Would I be better off with a linuxdist that has automatic updates?
I don't know if you'd be better off, since I don't know what that phrase means to you. More stable? That depends entirely on use. But I will guess that you might be happier, since you wouldn't have to self-maintain anything. As I've stated above, a well-maintained system will be more secure than an unmaintained one.