View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th July 2008
Arp Constable

Default Do you use an IDE?

Integrated Development Environment
--> such as Eclipse, Code::Blocks, Visual Studio, KDevelop

Custom Development Environment
--> whatever environment you build yourself out of the parts around you.

Self made IDE like program
--> self explanatory

Other
--> Explain if there is such

-----

For me, I started out with an IDE (Dev-C++) because I wanted to concentrate on *trying* to learn to program and worry about compiler flags and makefiles another day.

After I started to learn more languages (Perl, Java) I decided it was time for a code editor like Vim or Emacs. Because if I had to waste my time learning to use a different IDE for every language, I was going to spend more time learning IDEs then writing code when learning other languages! Not to mention the disk space... haha

My development environment usually consists of a terminal emulator window or several of them depending on what I'm working on.

Running vim and suspending it to build/run the program as necessary. I also usually have a program open for reading documentation so I don't have to wait on it to launch

e.g. a terminal emulator with man/ri/perldoc/etc at my finger tips, apps like Qt assistant, or a web browser with tabs full of pages I might need later.

It's not uncommon for me to have a separate urxvt open for launching the program if stdout/stderr is important or using a debugger to examine a program while fixing it in vim but I very rarely use debuggers.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.