View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

i am using asterisk as PBX as it's quite simple to set up and get it working. for asterisk check their home page, they have plenty of documentation and tutorials and a great community which is willing to help.

if you want asterisk up and running first of all update your ports tree and the you can install asterisk (/usr/ports/net/asterisk).

Quote:
I am still wondering which kind of phone I should use. For example, can I use a standard landline phone or do I have to use something else?
hmm, that depends. if you have a standard landline phone you will need an ATA device to connect it to your network. If you want to change all of your phones to IP phones i'd go with Linksys SPA 942 which are cheap and reliable (as far as i've seen).
you can also use SoftPhones (software that acts like a phone). the one i use and i'm very pleased with it is X-Lite. Very easy to install / configure.

i'd suggest you to read about VoIP a little - what protocols is this technology using, read about those protocols, read about asterisk and after all this give it a shot & of course post back if you need more help.

/v