View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2014
Ghost in the Shell

Default I want OpenBSD on my Thinkpad but..

Hi, I currently have Slackware on my Thinkpad because of the usb support for Calibre because I have a Kobo Aura HD. The OpenBSD Calibre port has no direct USB/MTP access in the OpenBSD package. I remember running Calibre on FreeBSD, years ago, because at the time I had a Sony Ereader (before Kobo took over as the high-end ereader) and I did just treat the Ereader as a generic usb storage device and loaded books on it that way but when I put books processed by Calibre on it that seriously hampered my ability to manage my ebooks ,on my device, because of metadata issues. I'm afraid the samething would happen with OpenBSD and my Kobo device. I'm willing to get around this by using windows in a virtual machine if there is a virtual machine that has usb passthrough on OpenBSD. Despite using *nix systems for 17 years I'm not a developer (I can shell script and write some perl scripts when sed and awk run out of steam but that is about it regular sysadmin stuff) so I can't simply just add the support I desire to OpenBSD.

Anyway, usb support in Calibre is a killer seemingly needed feature for me and other than that OpenBSD has everything I want for my laptop. I prefer OpenBSD to Slackware and really don't like the GPL and I can't stand the post 1990's Linux community -- I'd rather not be associated with it so any tips or advice is welcome. You are free to advise me to stay with Linux, as well, but I really hope that isn't the case.

Last edited by Angevin; 26th October 2014 at 11:40 PM.