View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st August 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith6134 View Post
My current computer is 4-5 years old. I figure should replace it before it dies.
Some of my hardware is over ten years old, & to date, I haven't had problems. However to make sure I don't get bit, I have some redundancy in my network to minimize any sudden mishap. The biggest issue is to have backups of everything important.
Quote:
It said to avoid newer chip sets, on board graphics and nvidia vieo.
Avoiding nVidia prevents headaches.
Quote:
My guess is that a lot of the motherboards that are in the stores are probably not supported because the chip sets are within the last 6 months. Does one need to buy motherboard now and tuck away for a year or so?
Your premise is not altogether correct, & buying hardware just to shelve it for a few years is ill-advised.

Better answers to your fundamental question are:
  • search archives of the official misc@ mailing list for specific hardware. You may find previous discussions there. Archives can be found at the following:

http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html
  • buy hardware from vendors/shops which have a well-defined return policy. Be sure you are very clear about the policy's conditions before buying.
  • try -current. Development for OpenBSD 4.9 was completed in mid-February 2011. Lots of work has gone on since then.
Compared to other projects, the OpenBSD project is quite small. The developers don't have access to wickedly insane lists of hardware; all they can do is test on what hardware they have available. All anyone else can do is stay informed by reading misc@ & simply experiment.