View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2009
More noise than signal

If you listen to the presenter, Kristaps Dzonsons, he tells you where to find information on the second slide of his presentation. The .pdf for the presentation is online at www.dcbsdcon.org/speakers/slides/dzonsons_dcbsdcon2009.pdf

At this moment, I cannot connect to the website, but I found the following in Google's cache. Highlights mine:
Quote:
mult is an on-going research project to create a high-performance instance multiplicity system. An instance multiplicity system has a forest of process trees, each rooted at init(8), instead of a single, global tree. Each tree, an instance, has a set of resources isolated from other instances.

mult effects multiplicity by isolating system resource in-kernel. It's implemented as a local branch of the NetBSD and OpenBSD operating systems, specifically as tagged in CVS at netbsd-5-0-RC2 and (waiting for stable RC) OPENBSD_4_4. The local branches are tagged as netbsd-5-0-MULT and OPENBSD_4_4_MULT.

Until otherwise stated, all instructions below focus on the OpenBSD version of mult....

...the below instructions will overwrite existing OpenBSD sources, built objects, and installed binaries. Be careful!
Therefore, it is not yet part of the OS. It may be, one day. It is not yet a port/package, and I doubt it could be, as I believe the extent of changes to the kernel prevent it. (Kernel modules in packages are possible, such as emulators/kqemu, but they must be able to be separate entities. This is not.)