View Single Post
Old 25th December 2008
Arp Constable

In the case of ports, you'll find that virtually everything is stored under CVS, including the makefiles for individual ports. When it comes to pkgsrc, I have no clue.

To do things "by hand", one should be able to fetch the dependencies, search the ports tree, and apply any necessary configure arguments or patches needed to make it compile -> and dig up old versions via CVS if necessary. With things not in the ports tree, to build by hand whether using the usual configure script & make process; you'll have to try it for yourself (making a port for it would be nice too, if you succeed). For more minor things, like an old version of claws-mail; I would guess flip to an old version of the Makefile and distinfo - so it fetches the version that you want instead, which would save you some time in doing things by hand (e.g. install claws-mail manually, using the ports files as a reference of what's needed to make it build on the system).

The only thing I build myself outside of the ports tree, is usually vim; which I have automated into fetching, configuring, and building the code. (I generally build vim from source on all my machines, except for Windows). Some programs are more agreeable then others -- some really need kicking, Qt/KDE 4 bindings to Ruby are one example.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.